Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life without Electricity...

Of Course I have electricity in my house, but why have the expense at a barn, on the side of a mountain in the middle of no where?

I quickly decided after asking for a temporary permit for electricity just to build the barn, it was NOT going to be worth the money; until I build a house on the mountain. Over 2,000 dollars for TEMPORARY... I don't think so!  If it were forever that would make sense, but not to throw the money out the door.

So I am now learning how to manage my horses in the cold of winter with no electricity for water pump, water heater or for fencing.

The fence is easy.... While the instructions that came with my solar fence said it would take a week to charge a dead battery I find, on a good sunny day it takes only one day.   I got the largest charge I could and I only have it running when the horses are out.  This has thus far taken care of itself, easy to manage and not an issue.

Water...on the other hand... I could have dug a well, around here they start at Ten Thousand and go up.  So this too was out of the question, until I build a house.  Besides... Why share my water with the horses IF I have another source.  RAIN... So for only a small investment I planned ahead and now have a 3,000 gallon tank that is fed by rain, snow, and even the heavy morning dew.   I love it!
I LOVE IT BUT>>>>>> it is above ground and measures must be taken to function!
While we have been well below freezing earlier than normal this year we have yet to be below freezing for a solid week or more.
BUT after only 3 days of below freezing I still have beautiful, clean, water flowing from my exterior source.  As long as I can keep the hose line free of water, not allowing it to freeze itself I believe we will be fine.

I have had several ask how I am doing this.
Easily and Cheaply...
I did purchase pipe insulation wrap, but not only did I wrap the exterior line, I had the water container placed on the SOUTH side of the barn for a reason.  And while EVENTUALLY I will cover my large water container to look more like that on a roof in old cities, western towns, and movies... I have only basic resources to protect it today.  STRAW!
Few realize the wonderful value of a good bail of straw.  I am sure some of you have heard of straw bail homes.  This is basically the same thing... ? not really but the insulation point is.

I have place only four bails on the back, Three on the front, as I still need access to the pipe in order to attach the hose when I need to add water to their container.

I will have to let you know when the system stops working and under what conditions caused its stop.  Otherwise I am happy with what little I have done,  What little I have spent, and what little it cost me each month... ha ha ha...

Life can be simple... But simple is not ALWAYS easy.
Do what you can with what you have!  

No comments:

Post a Comment