Monday, January 17, 2011

Update on no electricity

Life at the barn is fine.  I just experienced a good 7 days never coming above freezing more than 30 minutes in the entire week.

I was at the barn early Friday morning with only 5 degrees registering at the "local official" news forecast.
I have to say it is normally a little worse in the winter here the more elevation involved.... which includes the barn.

With only 5 degrees being registered... I hooked up my water source and cleaned and filled my 100 gallon water container for the horses.

My father asked me what I was doing with all the ice I broke and fished out of the troft?  I throw it in the bathtub I explained!  It is cast iron and heats up well in the heat of the day with the sun glaring down on it!     I am a simple woman, but not completely stupid I explained...   he just laughed at me.

So far so good.  I have now had three days above freezing as of today...a dreadful Monday!  so the ice and snow on the roof trickles and sounds delightful; as if I had my own waterfall installed.  I enjoy hearing the echo as if falls into the barrel.  Only one more sound of delight at my barn

The hawks fly, swoop, and squawk entertaining us all
The horses breathe, snort, and chew their hay
The squirrels knock snow from the tree limbs and even this makes a enjoyable sound in the silence of a snow swallowed barn.
As the weather has helped the snow to melt, it now crunches under my feet as I make my way through the woods to the barn, trying not to mar my pastures for spring.

I can tell my next barn adventure will be to fence off part of the woods ...
If for no other reason than to have another place for the horses to run, stand, and kill trees instead of tearing up my grassy pastures.

One more thing to add to my to do list.

Sorry there are no pictures today! It is hard in such cold, to take off gloves in order to take a decent picture.
I promise to provide pictures on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment