Saturday, May 7, 2011

Simple is HARD!

While simple seems romantic! It sounds poetic! and feels like nothing you have ever felt before... IT IS HARD!

Our tiny 6 acres is getting out of control,  extensive for only one human, no tractor, and very little time to spare.

I did however accomplish taking the old 70's gravely and bush hogging up the side of the road all the way from the garden to the neighbor's drive... which is ON my property ( but the area too steep to put on his... the only reason this bothers me is all the TRASH that spews down into my lot from the garbage can... to his credit it is either wind or bears depending on season and weather.  I almost need to install a repel system so he or I can use it after trash pick up)

If you know what a gravely is... then you know they are ALL torque and no horse power; and on such a grade as what I have, that means it's all ME pulling the thing out of areas or trying to maneuverer it around things like boulders, trees, or gullies.

I need to bush hog SOOOOO much more, but my hands can only take so much (from all the shaking), my back can only pull so many times, and yes my legs can only brace or dig into the ground so often!   So around the perimeter of the estate and then into details around apples and paw paw trees.    I now need to bring it back to the house to bush hog what WAS the garden last year.  The ground at the house needed a rest, it needs to be rebuilt and so... two or three years rest it will have.  I hope to get it in resting order soon.  Clover this fall and legumes next spring...

Weeds on the estate are OUT of control.  It is the area! The state has planted things that roots go down at least 4 feet in order to keep the area from washing away.  Most of the lots on the mountain are so steep cows would have problems on peoples front yards... mine is one of the few that is 95% walkable,  but just because I can walk it doesn't mean I can get the gravely up or down it!

I suppose I am going to have to break down and purchase a GAS weed eater ( I just can't stand them... sound, smell, and they are heavy) but my electric is NOT going to cut it around the barn.  I have plenty of electric cord, the generator is small enough for me to move around, but ... the weeds are too fast, thick and course in nature for an electric... I need one I can put a metal blade on it and go to town!

Then I will need to take the time and work on the old apple tree in the garden area.  This thing has got to be aired out, or it is going to kill itself off.   I've had the property 4 years and only last year after planting my other four trees did this old one start making apples!   A bonus for me, but also one more thing on the to do list!

I hope to take the camera back to the estate later today... if and when I do I'll take some black and whites to post here! /// Sorry guys no black and whites  only color tonight.  I'll try again tomorrow.

I hope everyone else living simple is having an easier spring!

p.s. the trees are not in full leaves up to the top of the mountain yet! and we have had HEAVY frost for the last three nights! making my planting season that much shorter!

you just gotta laugh!
Amber.

No comments:

Post a Comment