Monday, February 3, 2014

Walter Mitty!

OK... you have to understand I love movies but I gave up going to the movie house when I gave up the first husband.


My now (second)  husband also LOVES the movies!
And on occasion I choose to go with him, this was one of those rare days!


A date day... not a night... life is cheaper at lunch, matinee, and fewer kids to deal with at a movie!


We saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty!
I realized I have always been a Walter Mitty!
I was the kid that had day dreams, while I didn't zone out, my mind rushed ahead of every conversation and created its own version of what ever was going on. It was a pain (for me and I am sure others) as a kid, I'm sure it's only one of the many reasons I was an outsider as a kid... (besides the glasses, a forehead the size of most kids entire head, the orthopedic shoes (they were SO nasty) and the inability to read as fast as everyone else.) Thank GOD I didn't have braces too!





I dreamed of travel. I wanted, I needed to see how the rest of the world lived.
I lived in a world where my every move was critiqued each day, where I wasn't just me; I was THE example for those behind (younger) me.  I was suppose to be good, only do the right thing, and my day dreaming became my only escape.   While Joelton is a place that owns my heart and I would move back in a minute given a good reason and the right chance to do so.  I love the people, I love the area, I love community, and my heritage there. But I knew life outside of my little home town had to be exciting! It had to be incredible!  It was going to be life changing if and when I ever got out. My small world was SO basic and the life I choose now is very basic. BUT I love my dreams and I love to travel.  I have always day dreamed. 


I was not good in school!
My brain was horribly divided between science and art. I couldn't just concentrate on one thing and quickly switch to the other... So depending on what side of the brain I used the other subjects suffered.






Back in the day when money was abundant and the economy flowed like water; my husband and I could travel twice a year one new place once a year and one repeat place for new adventures really learning a place and its culture.


I am a small town girl who never thought she would ever do anything.  And while in the outside world I have done little; but for a town that was a population of about 2000 I have done more than I ever dreamed I would.


In REALITY...
I have ridden horses I will never be able to afford.
I have traveled a few tourist places Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Cusco, Lima, Quito, Tikal, Copan, Athens Greece, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Lake Titicaca, Panajachel, Peten, Belize, Cozumel, Chicen itza , Tulum, and some others.
I have traveled more off beat places... Copper Canyon, Divisadero Barrancas,  Batopilas, Antigua, Ischiguan ; actually too many off beat places to list as we normally get our own car and drive around and go and do what ever we want.  Rarely do we get a group trip, guided trip, or anything of the sort.




In my mind... that are in the word of my dreams...
I have ridden Grand Pre Level horses worth more than I will make in my life time.
I have seen peace.  I have seen places that purified my mind.
I have seen the thumb print of our higher power on the earth.
I have traveled places that were so Jurassic park I expected animals long gone to come from the bush.
I have traveled places that almost not humanly possible for their time.
I have roasted marshmallows over running lava.
I have walked down a mountain as the earth glowed below my feet.
I have walked the earth referenced in biblical times.
I have walked the halls of ancient gods


I am amazed at simple solutions
I am amazed at the survival instincts of humans
I am amazed with ART being a way of life for everything some have.
I am amazed with how cultures evolve.
I am amazed with how fast paced we live in the US
I long for the simplicity of other countries


The simplicity of life
The simplicity of how things work
The real foods cooked over an open fire.
The real family unit that congregates in the park every night.

I dream
I dream all the time.
Just like the frozen ground and the lava rock sounds
Much like lighting my candles in the water box, but when I did I was using matched I got in Greece so ... it carried me back to a time of incredible architecture, ,fresh sardines, Greek yogurt with nuts and honey. 


I will never be able to skate board down a mountain side.
I will never be in a shark fight (although I have swam with several types of sharks I'm not THAT stupid)


We each have our own way of doing things.
But now I know mine is Walter Mitty Style... Do it; don't think about it too much just DO IT! 
If you really worry about the money you'll never go any where.
If you really worry about the security you'll never experience what few others do.
If you think about it too much you will not live it only survive it.
Do you want to LIVE LIFE...
like it or not you will never SURVIVE LIFE...





















2 comments:

  1. As usual, I am overwhelmed. Your passion energy and magnitude of thoughts leaves me feeling as if I need to take a deep breath. But I love it even if I get a little twinge of self-pity ��.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete